We love this cake recipe – and eating it – and it’s gluten free with the polenta and ground almonds.
Polenta and Orange Cake (gluten free)
250g unsalted butter, softened
250g caster sugar
4 medium eggs
250g ground almonds
150g polenta cornmeal
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
For syrup topping:
Zest and juice of 2 large oranges
100g caster sugar
20 cm round cake tine, lined with baking parchment
- Set the oven to 150 degrees C.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until the mixture is light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, adding a tablespoon of ground almonds with each egg. Fold in the remaining ground almonds, polenta, salt and baking powder.
- Spoon mixture into lined cake tin and level surface.
- Bake the cake in centre of oven for 1½ to 2 hours or until a skewer comes out clean after being inserted into cake.
- Towards the end of the cooking time for the cake, place the orange zest and juice into a saucepan, along with the sugar. Place the pan over a medium heat and stir until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat and boil the mixture rapidly, until it reduces by about half and goes syrupy. Remove the pan from the heat.
- When the cake is cooked, remove from the oven and leave to cool for about 5-10 minutes, then spoon the orange syrup over, spreading the orange zest out evenly over the cake. Leave the cake to cool in the tin.
(Suitable for freezing)