The menopause is a natural phase of a woman’s life but with our busy lives and Western culture, it can feel particularly unnatural and may seriously disrupt a woman’s life for many years.
Noticeable changes can have an impact both mentally and physically, including symptoms such as hot flushes and night sweats keeping you awake, mood swings & anxiety, depression, vaginal dryness, low libido and hair loss.
This is the time of life where many women find support from a natural health approach – and holistically, there is much we can do for menopause symptoms and a woman’s wellbeing, which may be influenced by genetics, environment, nutrition and lifestyle.
Good nutrition, together with the right supplements, enable your body to adjust and keep your skin and hair soft, minimise aches and pains, control weight, maintain libido and help prevent osteoporosis, heart disease and cancer.
There is scientific evidence that phytoestrogens may benefit and give relief. These are plant hormones and thus mimic estrogens. They are naturally found in most vegetables and fruit but the most beneficial kind, isoflavones, are found in legumes such a soya, lentils, chickpeas, and in nuts, avocado, flaxseeds and green tea.
Supplements you may consider:
- Red Clover provides high levels of Isoflavones to compensate for lower estrogens. It may help libido and hot flushes.
- Magnesium for moods, energy, relaxation and sleep, bowels, bones, blood pressure and the brain – Magnesium does so many jobs.
- Calcium to prevent bone loss
- Probiotics – supporting a healthy gut helps absorption of nutrients and a healthy vagina
- Essential fatty acids to support all hormones, bone health, skin, eyes and mood
- B-Complex to support bone density and homocysteine
- Artichoke or Milkthistle to help the liver as it can clog up due to changes in hormones.
- Collagen to support thinning tissues, skin and signs of ageing
Using natural products
Xenoestrogens are synthetic compounds present in commercial skincare and cleaning products that may be absorbed through the skin. These can exacerbate menopausal symptoms and may cause toxins in your body. Therefore, make sure to choose natural body and hair care as well as cleaning products.
In the health food shop, we only stock free-from products that are safe to use.
Feel free to pop in or call for advice.
Your health is important to us and we’re happy to advise on the best product for you. Pop in to the shop on Bridge Street, email us or connect online.